Well, here we are with our second MAKE along! The Ranunculus KAL was amazing and I was so blown away with everyone's sweaters.
This time we are doing a 'make along' and opening this up to anyone that wants to participate! Knitters, crocheters, whoever and the goal is to use yarn from your stash! One-off skeins, partially used cakes, itty bitty balls of yarn that you have no idea what to do with - this is their time to shine!
You can choose your pattern and it can be anything. Sweaters, shawls, scarves, hats, socks, pants, shorts, blankets...the sky is the limit here. I want you to be creative and think outside of the box and explore with colour and texture!
I've started a Ravelry group (but let me be clear, I still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Ravelry...I'm totally making it up as I go!) and you can find it here.
I have also started a conversational thread about patterns and included links to some patterns that I think would work well for this kind of project.
You can take any pattern and make it a scrappy project, you just have to keep in mind your weight of yarn and how best to achieve that if you plan to hold multiple strands of yarn together.
Another legend put together by Ravelry used 'pppeonies' lists the following (along with an amazing round up patterns to inspire your scrappy projects!):
2 strands of thread weight = Lace weight to fingering
2 strands of lace weight = fingering to sock to sport weight
2 strands of sock = sport weight to DK
2 strands of sport = DK or light worsted
2 strands of DK = Worsted or Aran
2 strands of Worsted = Chunky
2 strands of Aran = Chunky to Super Bulky
2 strands of Chunky = Super bulky to Jumbo
NOW. Let's go over the deadlines. The #helloranunculuskal ran for 4 straight weeks and over 70 sweaters were produced (cue all the happy tears!).
For this #helloscrapalong I want to go in at a generous 6 weeks.
We will cast on for Monday August 26th and have an official finish date of Monday October 7!
- You must cast on no earlier than MONDAY AUGUST 26th.
- Choose your pattern (knit or crochet) and use scraps, left overs, partial cakes or single skeins in your stash (you can obviously purchase yarn if you want to, but the goal is to get creative with what you have!)
- Participate in the Raverly thread by sharing your project and on Instagram with the #helloscrapalong tag.
- You must complete your project by end of day MONDAY OCTOBER 7 to be entered for the draw.
- Interact with each other - let's cheer each other and help each other if we get stuck. We are all in this together! Who knows, maybe a best friend is in this scrappy group!
I like to keep things somewhat casual and FUN. Most importantly fun because I don't want you to lose interest or start to think of your project as mandatory work. But hey, if you do lose interest and don't feel like continuing it, that's OKAY!
If you have any questions, please don't be afraid to ask! The best way is to ask in the Ravelry thread. I am going to make a habit of checking it once a day (in the evenings after the kids are in bed) and answer any questions and cheer you on and DROOL over your projects!